Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beautiful Cinque Terre (Part 3)

I *heart* Cinque Terre
And this is why...
It is SO beautiful here. Questa e una bella citta!!
We stayed in Vernazza. J was able to come with us for the day! Lindsay especially liked that because he carried her bag up all the steps to our hotel room!
After a quick lunch, we set out on our first hike: From Vernazza to Corniglia. We had absolutely perfect weather during the day. Ah, it was so wonderful! A little piece of heaven on earth!
Corniglia to Manarola
I swear, it is impossible to take a bad picture here...
Beautiful Manarola in the background.
We had a relaxing time in Manarola drinking Proseco!
J left to head back to Florence while Lindsay and I took the little train back to Vernazza. Then the storm started to brew...
Lindsay and I ate in Vernazza and managed to avoid the rain.

The next morning, we work up to rain, but by the time we got going it had stopped. It was overcast the whole day, but we stayed dry!
We walked the beginning of the path that leads to Monterosso so we could see this spectacular view of Vernazza. (This path is the most difficult hike and considering Lindsay's aversion to heights and the rain, we decided to skip this hike.)
We took the train to the fifth town, Riomaggiore and then walked to Manarola. This hike is called the Via del Amore (the Way of Love). Linds and I had a very romantic walk together... :o)
This is by far the easiest of all the hikes, but not any less beautiful!
This is the bench where lovers are supposed to sit and "lock in their love." As you can see, there are padlocks locked here (they are actually all over this path). The idea is that you go there and lock your love and then throw the key away. I think it is a sweet idea. Many young Italians do this at places all over Italy, but this is the original spot!
Doesn't that graffiti make the "walk of love" even more romantic?! Wait, ummm, no - It doesn't. "Graffiti" is actually an Italian word that means little drawing. I guess it is to be assumed that there are a lot of "little drawings" all over Italy!
We then walked from Manarola back the other way to Corniglia and then took a train to Vernazza. We ate dinner in Monterosso, topping off visiting the final village in the Cinque (or 5) Terre!

What a beautiful place! I don't know if you have gathered how much I love it here, but be assured, I LOVE 5 Terre!!

No comments:

Post a Comment